ARC Professional Development Annual Report 2008
ARC Professional Development Committee Annual Report
Chair: Debbie Bockus, WPI
Committee: Lynne Riley, WPI
Peg Lesinski, AAS
Margaret Cardello, CMRLS
Jan Wilbur, Assumption
Linda Oldach, MWCC
The committee met approximately 3 times this year. A survey was created by Margaret via Zoomerang to determine the type of spring program we would offer. Questions were:
1. What type of presentation would you be most interested in?
2. Would you prefer a half day or full day program?
3. If a half day, what time of day is better for you, morning or afternoon?
4. What day of the week is best?
5. What topics would you like to see covered in this workshop?
6. What professional development websites do you find useful?
7. What is one tool that you find most useful in your library? You may assume everyone else uses it, too, but maybe not!
8. Are there any other comments you’d like to share with the committee?
A total of 20 people responded to the survey. Based on the responses, we offered a spring program on May 1, 2008, at WPI. Linda Braun spoke on “Emerging Technologies”. This was a hands-on half day workshop where participants were able to create accounts and use freely available products online such as: Twitter, Animoto, iGoogle, and Pageflakes. These products allow participants to create podcasts, vodcasts, tagging and streaming. A copy of the program is attached to this report. Seventeen people attended and 14 filled out evaluation forms. Of the 14, 11 felt the session was “very useful” and 3 felt it was “moderately useful”. The cost for the program was $800. WPI provided the refreshments.
The committee also has been creating a list of professional development sites of interest and will post them on the ARC website in the future. The current list is attached to this report.